Thursday, November 20, 2008

Teds Birthday



Ted turned 33 on November 19Th. I decided to make him a red cake for this special day. He is always bragging about how good his moms was and I thought I would give it a try. Making a cake from scratch is something I haven't done, EVER! A little advise if you are thinking of trying this in the future, It takes a huge bottle of red food coloring. I red the ingredients before going to the store to make sure I had everything, I noticed the food coloring and paid no attention to the amount. When I was at the store I saw the food coloring and bought a 4 pack with 3 other colors. Thinking there was no way it could use a huge bottle. Well it did, so i filled up my measuring cup with tho coloring that I had then added water to fill it up. Made sense to me at the time.

Now to the frosting, you had to cook it! The first half you cook on the stove then let it cool and finish it off later. For some reason it never really blended together. To me it was a mess! Ian thought it tasted like hard whipped cream. I had to put it in the fridge for several hours to harden up.

Now for the Ted test.... After the first few bites, he scraped the frosting off and left most of the cake on his plate. It was a little dry. The Kids loved it, especially Ian. This cake took me over 4 hours to make, Im not sure if there will be a repeat for next year, maybe?? :)

No comments: